Monday, October 15, 2012

Where Do I Fit In?

When I was first writing The Low Notes and even after it was first published I could never quite give an accurate title to what genre I thought I belonged in. I would say things like, "It's romance but not in the bodice-ripper-Fabio-on-the-cover way." I'd say, "It's young adult (YA) but a little more dangerous."

I felt lost in a way. It was as if I didn't have a genre to fall into. Until one day I was having a chat with someone in the business and she said the words 'new adult'. 

Eureka! That's exactly what I write! NEW adult. Adults who can drive, vote, maybe even drink but they sure as hell don't have a handle on grown-up life yet.

Author/blogger JJ said this about the genre, "YA is about a certain time of life, when you are no longer a child but not quite an adult and one can write about this period of time through less literal genres like historical fiction or science-fiction and fantasy. Similarly, New Adult is about young adulthood, when you are an adult but have not established your life as one (career, family, what-have-you)."

I couldn't agree more! And I'm completely in love with the fact that I can claim this new category as my genre. 

What I'm working on now would certainly be considered 'new adult' as well but I'm happy to say I also have a few other genres up my sleeve including YA romance and paranormal romance. 

Stay tuned to more info on what I'm working on next!

No comments:

Post a Comment