Saturday, June 30, 2012

So, What Do You Do?

When people ask me what I do I hesitate. I never used to do that. I always used to have a quick response.

"I'm a hair stylist!"

But ever since I got this little thing called a book contract, I hesitate. I want to scream from the rooftops, "I'm a frickin' author!!! I wrote a dang book!!" But I don't. Clearly I would be considered a crazy person for doing that even if it is the truth.

The thing is, I have two jobs. I do two things. One is the job I've had for about six years now and I can honestly say that I love it. But the other...is my dream job come true. 


If some one asks me what I do for a living I would have to say hairstyling because that's how I make my money but if someone asked me what I do in general I want to say that I'm a writer. So when do I get to say that and feel real about it? When am I more a writer than a hairstylist?

When does the waitress call herself an actress and why on earth would an actress settle for calling herself a waitress? If she gets a one-line speaking role she is an actress, she got paid. But maybe it isn't until she gets cast as a named character that she can say it or when she gets put in a movie with George Clooney or Julia Roberts.

I guess it all depends on me. Maybe it will take a while before I can assert myself and say, "I'm an author." It's okay to be two things and it's certainly okay to have two jobs that I love! For now....

"I'm a hairstylist who wrote a book!" :) It'll do.


No comments:

Post a Comment