Monday, October 22, 2012

NaNoWriMo

November is National Novel Writing Month! The challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel in thirty days. Can you do it? Should you try?

A few years ago I tried NaNoWriMo but failed pretty miserably. That isn't stopping me from taking the plunge this year. I'll be working on a YA novel that I've been thinking about for a while. Fifty thousand words by December 1st or bust!

I love the idea behind the challenge. It's a fantastic way to jump start an idea and to get the creative juices flowing. There's no rule that says the finished work has to be ready to publish. It's just about accomplishing a goal.

Writers tend to have a lot of ideas about what they need to do to be able to write. I'm one of them. I make excuses as to why I'm not able to work. But it's as simple as this...just write. If we take the time to sit and write, a little every day, we can accomplish what we set out to do.

Now, editing is a whole different story. 

I'll be posting my progress throughout the month of November and fingers crossed I'll have 50,000 words just after Thanksgiving. If you are interested in learning more or signing up for the challenge you can visit the official NaNo website here.

Get your pens or keys ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment