Thursday, April 5, 2012

Guest Author : Britni Hill - First Date With The Man I Love

First dates are always nerve-racking.  You never know what to expect.  Where to go?  What to do? A lot of first dates are pointless, never resulting in a second one.  But every now and then you have a first date that goes down in the books.  One that makes you fall in love, or start to anyway. 


My amazing boyfriend and I have been together for almost two years.  We live together and according to him we’re getting married when we’re 40.  Stay tuned to see how that works out.  I won’t tell you about the awkward way our first date came to be, but I will tell you about the date.

We had known each other for about eight years, friends of friends and all of that.  We’d see each other at the occasional party or out somewhere with the group.  I always thought he was cute (don’t tell him that).  Something sparked on New Year’s Eve and we started Facebook chatting randomly.  I invited him out for my birthday, which is in May, and we decided that we should hang out sometime.  After a week of non-stop texting and getting to know each other better we settled on dinner and a movie.  The usual.  We met at Cheeseburger in Paradise and the first date awkwardness ensued.  Starting with a do-we-hug, do-we-not-hug thing in the beginning.  He ordered a beer.  I didn’t. I ordered the messiest sandwich possible and I couldn’t figure out how to eat it.  Conversation was sparse at first.  Each of us trying to feel the other out.  I hate to admit it but both of us are kind of shy.  I couldn’t help but notice how often he was blushing when I would ask him questions.  It was so cute.  After a while we hit a flow and he had me laughing constantly.  Next was the movie,which he had already bought tickets for but dinner was much quicker than he had anticipated so we exchanged them to see a different movie.  We still had a bit of time so we sat in the lobby of the theater just talking.  It was so easy just to be with him.  We had the same sense of humor, we liked the same music and movies. 

I’ll be honest when we had planned the date I wasn’t sure how I really felt about it.  I had been through a horrible break up followed by months of secrets coming out about that relationship.  I went on a few horrible first dates in between.  So I was weary to say the least.  After the movie we chatted a bit in the parking lot then he hugged me and got in his car.  No sleazy invitations, no attempted kiss.  It was very refreshing.  After all, he’d assured me multiple times he was a nice guy.

Before I even made it out of the parking lot my phone chimed and it was a text from him.  Asking if I’d had fun and if I’d like to do it again.  That was the beginning of the end for me.  I’d never been made to feel more special in a simple way.  Now you know how I began to fall in love.
This goes a bit past our first date but it’s one of my favorite memories from before things got so routine.  It’s something that helps me remember how he feels about me.  It was our fourth date and we went to dinner and ended up going with some friends to a bar to see a cover band.  We walked back to the car and I knew the whole time that he was going to kiss me.  I could feel it.  It took him twenty minutes and about five goodbyes before he actually did it and his face was flaming the entire time.  It feels good to know you make someone nervous. 

Thanks to Britni for guest writing. Her first novel Tears in the Rubble will be released April 17th from Rebel Ink Press. She's also been my BFF for the past 6 years! You can find out more about her and read my guest blog on this same topic on her blog www.britnihillwriter.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment