Sunday, April 1, 2012

Let Your Surroundings Inspire You

I’m writing this from sunny Siesta Key Florida where the white sand beaches are currently overrun by teenagers on Spring Break. My parents are what some people call “snow birds”; happily retired Midwesterners who spend the chilly months on the beach. Of course, as their daughter, I try to take advantage of this at least once a year!
Though this is a short trip I’m taking every opportunity to relax, write and continue to bask in the glow of the news of my publishing contract.
But the other thing that’s happening and it happens every time I’m near the beach. Every time I’m in new or different surroundings actually. I’m inspired. I’m taking in the scenery and letting ideas bounce around my head. The same thing happened last year when my husband and I were in London and basically every vacation I’ve ever been on. New places bring me new ideas and give me a realistic view of what different locations are really like. Of course, making it easier to write them.
So if you find yourself always writing about your hometown, the next time you leave home take notes. I can guarantee you (though it may not be named) Siesta Key will make an appearance in a future novel. I might just be writing it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment